Am I eligible?
You can buy a home through shared ownership if your household earns £80,000 a year or less (or £90,000 a year or less in London) and any of the following apply:
- you’re a first-time buyer
- you used to own a home, but cannot afford to buy one now
- you’re an existing shared owner
- you own a home and want to move but cannot afford a new home that meets your needs
For some homes you may have to already live in, work in, or have a connection to the area where you want to buy the home.
If you already own a home, you must have:
- formally accepted an offer for the sale of your current home (called ‘sold subject to contract’ or ‘STC’)
- written confirmation of the sale agreed (called a ‘memorandum of sale’) including the price and your intention to sell
You must have completed the sale of your home on or before the date you complete buying your shared ownership home.