Shared ownership can be a great way to get on the property ladder but it’s quite different to the standard way of purchasing a home. It’s important you understand what’s involved and we’ve set an overview below:
- Check you meet the general eligibility criteria and complete our application form
- We’ll want to know what percentage of the home you’ll be able to buy – we have a mortgage panel to help with this bit
- There’s no negotiating on the price and we’ll want you to exchange contracts within 34 working days
- You’ll need to appoint a solicitor and there are fees involved here
- Make sure you’ve considered all the costs as once you’ve moved in you’ll be paying your mortgage, rent and service charges
There’s loads of information on our website about buying a shared ownership home with us and why not start with “What is shared ownership?”.