Shared Ownership in Canterbury


A collection of one, two & three bedroom apartments, houses & flats for sale Canterbury

This medieval hamlet isn’t just known for its tales and Cathedral, this historical town in the south of England is one teeming with character and culture, and is quite simply, a beautiful location to live.

A Borough Etched in Heritage

It would be quite easy to forget the likes of London’s modernity and superfast pace whilst strolling along Canterbury’s leafy avenues and calm, cobbled city streets. Preceded by its monumental Cathedral and dazzling gardens, open space is certainly not hard to come by. Home to astutely prestigious universities including The University of Kent and Canterbury Christchurch, Canterbury exudes intellectual charm.  From walks along the Roman Walls to tours along the river or rambles through Blean Woods Nature Reserve, there is a charm to Canterbury that will capture your imagination and run away with it.

Seasides and Riverbanks

Canterbury is ideally placed for day trips to the Kent coast or longer outings to Paris via Ashford and the Eurostar as well as being home to two astutely prestigious universities including The University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church for the intellectually inclined. And If you desire nothing more than a blissful evening walk along the beach, rosy-cheeked and red-nosed in the fresh sea air, nearby Wentworth Park in Herne Bay is Canterbury’s coastline getaway. A hotspot for Jurassic shark teeth and fossil hunting you can certainly sink your own teeth into some jaw-dropping discoveries. And should the kids tire of dinosaur detecting, an ice cream and a ride on the carousel should do the trick nicely.

Park Life

Coming soon in Herne Bay, beautiful family homes at Wentworth Park and Eddington Park will offer beautiful open spaces, stunning views and top notch commuter links across Kent. These seaside homes are also perfectly located for great schools, unrivalled amenities and easy commutes into the capital.

Littlebourne with a big reputation

Littlebourne, a whimsical countryside village on its own wavelength of charm. Approximately 5 miles from Canterbury, this quiet parish is preserved by its anglo saxon heritage and architecture that pepper the village with historical curiosity. Home to a ‘good’ OFSTED rated school in the village as well as an equestrian centre offering pony rides and horse riding lessons, it is the perfect family destination. For those after a slice of village life, shared ownership homes in The Laurels in Littlebourne will be launching soon.

Moat is pleased to release details of these three bedroom shared ownership houses located at The Laurels in the beautiful Kent village of Littlebourne.

Properties for Sale in Canterbury

With Outstanding schools and a whole host of amenities at your disposal, properties for sale in Canterbury are ideal for families and first time buyers alike. We have brand new 1 & 3 bedroom houses available at Ashvine Park, which is located right in the centre of Canterbury. And with Moat’s part-buy part-rent offer, getting onto the property ladder in Canterbury is an opportunity not to be missed.

Shared ownership explained

Shared ownership is where you own a share of your new home and Moat own the other share. When you pay your mortgage some of this goes toward paying off the property share that you own and the remainder of this will go toward subsidised rent to Moat - this is known as the Moat Shared Ownership schem. For example, if you own 25% of your new home, your monthly payment will go toward paying this off, you will also pay toward the remaining 75% owned by Moat Homes. You have the option (called staircasing) at any time to pay more toward the overall share until you own the property outright.

What are the benefits of shared ownership?

Houses are very expensive and this scheme allows you to get the property that you want in an affordable way. You own the portion of the property which is affordable to you and through the process of "staircasing" eventually you will own 100% of the property outright. The main benefit (apart from owning your own home) is that you require a smaller deposit to get onto / move up the property ladder.

Is shared ownership for me?

If you are unable to afford the full depost or monthly repayments then yes this scheme is for you. There are a few stipulations though, namely, you cannot currently own a property, you need to have a household income of more than £80k per annum. You should also be prepared for the costs involved with buying a home and for this we recommend you have around £4000. This is currently the best route that enable people to enter onto the property ladder.

Homes and Communities Agency
Mayor Of London
Help To Buy
Shared Ownership Campaign